Sell CBD Online – How to Sell CBD from home using your Website
2 November 2020
Why sell CBD online?
CBD (cannabidiol) has become the product of a booming market, particularly in e-commerce. The CBD market is definitely a profitable one, so if you are looking to sell CBD products, particularly online, then you have come to the right place. In this article, we will help you to become familiar with what you need to know to sell CBD online. We will look at the legalities and focus on some of the factors that you should consider when you are setting up your online CBD business.
What are CBD products?
CBD products are made from hemp plants, which do not have an intoxicating effect. The level of THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol), the chemical that causes an intoxicating effect, has to be less than 0.3% in CBD products to be considered federally legal.
CBD products are available in many different forms, from health products to CBD infused chapsticks. Many people believe that CBD health products are effective in helping with conditions such as pain and inflammation, anxiety and depression, epilepsy, seizures and more. Now that we have an idea about what CBD products are, let’s take a look at some steps you can take to successfully sell CBD online.
A guide for selling CBD online
1. Do your research
We have discussed the types of CBD products that you can and can’t sell online. We have also mentioned the legalities. Now, it is up to you to do some research, this will help you determine which CBD products you are going to sell online. Knowing your CBD products well is crucial for success in the long run. So, what research should you do?
Considering the Legalities
It is important to remember that CBD products were only legalized recently and there are some things that you need to do to ensure you can sell CBD online legally. First things first, you need to check the laws in the state or states where you intend to sell CBD online because different states have different rules and restrictions regarding CBD products. Check if there are any licenses that your state requires and get them.
The second important thing that you should know is that you are not allowed to make any medical claims about your CBD products. The FDA (Food and Drug Administration) has not done enough research for CBD products to be advertised as helping or curing any medical conditions.
Finally, US sellers should not sell CBD edibles since they are illegal under US federal law. Even trying to pass your products as “dietary supplements” can get you into trouble. There are, however, countries where CBD edibles are legal.
Looking into the types of CBD products that you want to sell
It is important for you to conduct market research to find out which CBD products are desired in your state and for what purposes. You should consider which form of CBD products that you would like to sell. Do you want to sell tinctures, edibles, topicals, capsules, isolates, vaporizers, patches or CBD products for pets? Do you want to sell CBD isolate, full-spectrum or broad-spectrum? Which is:
Isolate – The purest form of CBD, meaning that there are no other compounds or ingredients present in the end product.
Full Spectrum – Contains everything that’s originally found in the plant, such as other cannabinoids and essential oils.
Broad Spectrum – Contains all compounds naturally found in the cannabis plant, but it doesn’t contain any THC.
Once you decide which CBD product you would like to sell online, learn it like the back of your hand. You may not be allowed to make any medical claims, but your customers will appreciate expert advice about the CBD products they intend to buy.
2. Choosing a supplier
Ensuring you have a reputable supplier will enhance your credibility, allow you to sell high-quality products and will ensure that you meet the legal requirements for sale. A good supplier will meet the following requirement:
- Extraction method – They use a clean extraction method, preferably CO2 extraction
- Growing standards – They maintain clean growing conditions that are free from harsh pesticides or chemicals
- Medical claims – They do not make any medical claims on their website
- Testing – They have unbiased testing standards to ensure that there are no contaminants present
3. Creating your online CBD store
Creating an online CBD store is a little more challenging than selling any other products online, for the reason that popular channels such as Amazon, eBay, or Etsy won’t allow you to sell CBD products due to restrictions. This leaves you with the option to either build your own online store or choose another e-commerce builder that allows you to sell CBD online. Here are three great options.
- BigCommerce – They are one of the first full-featured e-commerce platforms that support CBD sellers. Unlike some of the other platforms, they do not charge transaction fees, but this platform has it’s limitations.
- Shopify – one of the builders commonly used by CBD companies, but has lots of downsides to it
- WooCommerce with WordPress – the most suitable, affordable and maintainable option for CBD companies
4. Marketing your online CBD store
There are a few options that you may consider to help you market your business successfully. This is the part where you bring in your buyers, so choosing the right method is important. Popular platforms such as Facebook Ads and YouTube Ads have banned CBD product advertising. Luckily there are options, we’ll discuss these here:
- SEO ranking – You want to ensure that you have a good SEO ranking to help put your CBD business ahead of your competitors. This means that Google will rank your site above others in search results. You can hire a SEO professional to audit your site and help you improve or work on your SEO ranking.
- Start a blog – Mastering keyword research and including great content that meets people, where they are interested, will help to bring potential buyers in.
- Use influencers – Research some blogs that suit your brand or reach out to influencers on platforms like Instagram who may be interested in promoting your product.
5. Fulfilling orders
You could start a warehousing system at home when you start selling CBD online. When your business starts to grow, you may need to rent a warehouse or outsource fulfillment. It is important that you ensure your fulfillment technology works with your e-commerce platform, payment processors and other important software.