How to Create a CBD eCommerce Website
15 February 2021
What is CBD?
So, you want to be a CBD eCommerce seller? You should know that CBD (cannabidiol) is extracted from hemp plants to make a variety of products from topical creams to tinctures. The legal requirements are that the CBD contains no more than 0.3% THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), which is the chemical responsible for causing the high that is associated with marijuana.
This isn’t the case, however. CBD does not cause an intoxicating effect and is used to help alleviate symptoms of pain, inflammation, anxiety, depression, sleep disorders, and symptoms of epilepsy. Many people feel that it is less invasive than some of the other available medications. It is without a doubt a market that is growing quickly which continues to expand worldwide.
What is an eCommerce Website?
Let’s start by defining e-commerce. E-commerce means to sell goods and services online and is like having an online business. The earliest form of e-commerce meant doing business over the phone and using email. Now we have websites where all our business functions can be done in one place. From selling to processing payments and more. So, a CBD eCommerce website is an online platform that supports the sale of CBD products and can be integrated with other features such as a payment processor.
Choosing a CBD ECommerce Platform
You have a choice to either start your own CBD store or use an existing platform that supports the sale of CBD. Here is a breakdown of each option:
This option is great if you have an existing CBD store or website already, you have the funds to hire experts to develop and support your site and you are looking to go big with your business. The benefits are that you don’t have to worry about the rules that other platforms set and you don’t need to share your profits. An expert in web design and SEO (search engine optimization) is a must if this is your chosen route.
An option that most people opt for when running a self-hosted CBD ecommerce site is using WordPress integrated with WooCommerce. It is basic to set up and you can manage on your own at first but to be on top of your competition it would be a good idea to hire an expert.
Saas stands for software as a service. It basically provides you with all the tools you need to successfully run a CBD e-commerce business under one roof. This is a good option if you are starting out small or with a limited budget. An excellent SaaS platforms that support CBD e-commerce is Digital Octane. It has been used by others to run their online CBD business.
Important Features for a CBD eCommerce Platform
Whether you plan to self-host or use a SaaS, there are features that you need to have to offer the best CBD e-commerce service. Remember that you are not limited to these. The key is to have all the important features but keeping your site user friendly rather than bombarding your users with complicated features. Here are some of the most important features to consider.
- A Register and Login Page: Users should have multiple ways to sign in, supported by multiple devices, including mobiles.
- A Personal Profile: Things to include are payment methods, location, delivery address, order history, order statuses, loyalty system, and any other relevant information.
- Pop-ups and subscription forms: pop-ups and subscription forms help you to grow your subscription base and improve SEO ranking
- A Catalog: Add pictures, a product name, a short description, and possibly a rating for each product that you list on your catalog.
- A Product Profile: It should have product information, reviews, and ratings, and should show users that every product is certified or complies with CBD state laws.
- A Product Search Engine: Use filters to help users search for products quickly and effectively.
- Categories: Organize products into categories to make it easier for users to find products.
- Shopping Cart: A feature where users can add the products they are interested in. Focus on the details at this stage to avoid customers abandoning their carts.
- Checkout: Try to make sure this step runs optimally. Any problems experienced here may result in the loss of customers.
- Payment Gateway: Choose a secure payment gateway. Some gateways still do not support CBD businesses so do your research to find ones who do who offer great security.
- Order Tracking: Customers want to see the status of their order and track it to estimate its delivery time and date.
- A Reviews Page: Most customers will check reviews before using any service or purchasing goods on the internet. It is important to include a review and feedback page on your CBD e-commerce site.
- Chat Feature: A chatbot can answer frequently asked questions (FAQs) to provide customer support.
Choosing a Payment Processor
The most used payment processors such as PayPal and Stripe do not support CBD e-commerce. You would need to consider ones that do support online CBD sales that are also secure. Here is a list of some of the payment processors that support payments for CBD businesses.
- USA ePay
- Worldpay eComm
E-Commerce is definitely the right direction to take your business in. It is important to be aware of the laws in the states where you intend to sell CBD. Do your research to ensure that every step you take is supported and make sure to get all the necessary licenses, etc. For the optimal CBD e-commerce website, it is best to get some expert advice along the way and learn as you grow.