Where to Sell Hemp Online
12 February 2021
If you’re reading this article, then chances are you want to know where you can sell hemp online. You may already know the value of investing in the CBD (cannabidiol) market since it is growing exponentially. This also means that you’ll have a lot of competition. So, it is important to know what your options are to sell hemp online. In this article, we will give you some tips based on what other CBD sellers are doing.
Selling CBD is tricky because there are still restrictions even though the sale of hemp products has been legalized. It is important to remember that the CBD extracted should contain no more than 0.3% THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) which is the chemical compound responsible for causing an intoxicating effect. So, this means that finding where to sell hemp can be challenging because there are platforms that are skeptical. Analyzing platforms that already support the sale of hemp online is a great way to start.
What is CBD used For?
CBD was legalized, despite enough evidence to prove that it works, because many people claim to have found relief from using it. The FDA (Food and Drug Administration) asks people to be cautious, however. So, CBD users will be on the lookout for quality and certified products. This means that it is important for you to make sure every step involved in making your hemp product is legitimate and of high quality. With that being said, here are some of the conditions CBD is believed to help with:
- Symptoms related to anxiety and depression
- Insomnia – difficulty falling and staying asleep
- Relieving pain and inflammation caused by medical conditions
- Treating epilepsy
Hemp CBD Oils, Isolate, and Extracts
Hemp can be used to extract CBD oils, isolates, or extracts. There are three types of CBD oils. These are full-spectrum, broad-spectrum, and isolate. Full-spectrum contains all the natural compounds, including THC, but no more than 0.3%. broad-spectrum CBD has all of the compounds except THC. CBD isolate is pure, containing none of the other compounds.
CBD extracts are used to create other products like tinctures, edibles, topical creams, vape concentrates, and pet products. Before deciding where to sell your hemp products, bear in mind that most states have not legalized edibles and you are not allowed to make medical claims about your hemp products. Once you have decided which CBD products to sell, you can consider where to sell them.
Where to Sell Hemp: Brick-and-mortar Vs E-Commerce
You have two options; a brick-and-mortar store or an e-commerce platform. In this article, we will look at ways that you can sell hemp online using an e-commerce platform. Before we do that, let’s look at some of the advantages of selling hemp online.
- Larger target market: by selling hemp online you are able to reach a larger number of customers compared to a brick-and-mortar store. You can use online social media platforms and influencers to gain more clients.
- Fewer startup costs: brick-and-mortar stores are costly in the beginning because you need to rent a building and buy stock to keep on hand whereas selling CBD online can be less costly. The more money you have to spend on expertise and website designs, the better your online store but the good thing is there are great platforms that allow you to start for free or at low costs and you can improve your site as your business and income grow.
- More growth opportunities: Just as you can start a small store and rent bigger buildings and buy more stock as your business grows, you can do the same online. You can start with a basic online store and improve the features of your website and hire professionals to develop it as you have more money to do so. You have the potential to take your business international.
What Are the Challenges of Selling Hemp Online?
There’s no doubt that e-commerce platforms give you a range of opportunities that you would not have if you were running a brick-and-mortar store alone. This does not mean that there are no challenges. One of your biggest challenges will be marketing. As we mentioned earlier, you are not allowed to make medical claims. There are other reasons though, like:
- Hemp sales are not supported by all e-commerce platforms.
- Some of the main payment gateways like PayPal do not support CBD payments.
- Laws may be different in various states or countries.
It may seem like there are many challenges but there is a strategy to overcome each of them. Let’s take a look at some of these solutions:
- Marketing: Use platforms like Instagram and influencers who already have an audience that will be interested in your brand.
- E-commerce platforms: There are platforms that many other CBD businesses have used to succeed. Two of the most recommended platforms are Shopify and BigCommerce. You can also use other platforms like WordPress integrated with WooCommerce or special siolutions, specifically made for online cbd sales.
- Payment gateways: You can use payment processors like USAePay, PayKings, SMB Global, Easy Pay Direct, PayWize, iPayTotal, and PaymentCloud.
- Various laws: Research is your biggest tool here. Before selling hemp products in a specific state or country, first, check what the laws are and if there are any certifications you may need.
Hopefully, this article has given you an overview of where to sell hemp online. We considered what CBD is, what it’s used for, and the challenges that CBD businesses face. We can conclude that selling CBD online is a step in the right direction since it opens the doors for a much wider customer base. If you do have or want to start a brick-and-mortar store, having a website or online store will help to boost your sales and grow your business. Use the internet as your tool, see what your competitors are doing and stay on top of the laws.